List:       kde-usability
Subject:    Re: game guidelines and standardizations
From:       Sébastien_Laoût "\[temporar\]" <les83plus () free ! fr>
Date:       2004-08-26 17:26:19

Le jeu 26/08/2004 à 18:20, Celeste Paul a écrit :
> there have been many requests for standardizations for game menus and actions.
> would such a guideline be included in the KDE HIG or should it be a seperate
> document for game developers?  should it be a seperate section in the HIG?

Great question.
If I well understand the new HIG(s), I think yes.
KDE need guidelines to be consistent across the desktop.
We just notice Games cannot be designed as desktop applications are.
So, they just need quite different rules, but it's also for all games to
be consistent across the KDE desktop.
Am I wrong?

> i have noticed that there are many inconsitancies with how games display
> their menu and toolbars and what default settings are set to.  for example,
> some games begin with a new game, some do not.  some use a standard
> menubar/toolbar and some are lacking one, the other or both.  some buttons
> are custome graphics, some are standard gui buttons.  should all games be
> treated the same or should different types of games have different standards?

You are right.

I would also add the "Highscores" feature.
It should be consistent, and it is a thing that can be put in KDElibs,
in the same manner configuration have special classes in KDElibs.
I'm also thinking to add extra features to the "Highscores".
Nowaday, lot of families share the PC and create user accounts.
It's always 'rageant' (french word?) to have highscore only for the
current user/account.
So, an option could be done to:
 (o) View only my highscores
 ( ) View all users highscores
It would be even easier if it's the lib that do the work, create an
explicitly shared folder (with rights for every user to read/write)...

> these are just some thoughts for anyone who is reviewing/developing games.
> inconsistancies in the interface and lack of adherence to the existing HIG
> are probably the two biggest usability problems in games.

Yes, games should be as simple as possible.
And consistency allow to be accustomized to new games/apps more quickly.

I add this to the HIG "draft"