List:       kde-usability
Subject:    Re: KDE Doc: We need meta-HIG
From:       Frans Englich <frans.englich () telia ! com>
Date:       2004-08-26 4:09:29

On Wednesday 25 August 2004 13:20, Aaron Seigo wrote:

(Big pardons for this flood of lengthy mails, but I try to get my sketchy
ideas out to avoid race conditions/conflicts later on. The maintainers have \
 probably already thought about what I mention; all I know is the aKademy
people/non-KDE lists folks have done is the top mail and planetkde.org, no
vids yet and incomplete listening of audio -- but I have a hard time
appreciating something else more)

As we know, what the HIG is and what it's not, what goes in and what goes \
out,   must be well defined. We also need to document this in order to \
sustain  consistency over time, and distribute maintainer burden. I'm not \
talking  about a Docbook :), but a simple HTML document. I started on a \
plain text  file when I fixed the current HIG; I think it's a starting \
point: www/areas/usability/hig/src/GUIDELINES
(some of it conflicts with the top mail)

We also need to make it clear that:

* The HIG will be used for in-house development, but should be applicable \
for  3rd parties. In other words, it should be genericly written, and \
dictate the  "KDE style", while things specific to the KDE project should \
be elsewhere(KDE  Policies, KUA). I can't remember what, but I've found \
issues which would make  such a paragraph relevant (assuming that is our \
intentsions with the HIG)

* (closely related to above) Torsten quotes future guidelines:
"Icon design both affects and is influenced by technology as well as
usability, beauty, fashion and marketing. This aspect is important for the
choice of a default icon style and it needs to be carefully evaluated \
during  the design process of each particular icon."
We need to have a clear view of whom our readers are. Who and why will read \
 the guidelines? Is the selection of icon theme for KDE relevant for the
readers, or KDE maintainers? Is it of interest?

* What we emphasize and encourage is what people do. Above Torsten \
emphasizes  it needs to look fancy; do we need more bells and whistles in \
KDE? Wouldn't  it be better if did a small lie and said "only focus on \
usability"(we tend to  get the bells and whistles in either case, here in \
KDE)

* Before someone throws this lovely subject for open debate(tabs vs spaces
with little sleep and too much booze, eh?): If we decide to have a coding
style(XML indenting) for these projects, I suggest it is 4 spaces. Why 4?
Only silly reasons: 1) I said it first, and that's an easy way to solve the \
 conflict; 2) It's the middle between zero spaces and a tab; 3) The current \
 HIG and KUA uses it. (anyone who have read my code knows I prefer tabs). \
Of  course, good luck reaching a consensus in open discussion. We could \
insert  editor tags at the end of files.

* A lot of more things, but my memory currently fails me.

Technical issues:

* We in the KDE project do a lot of Docbook circus; I think we would make \
use  of W3C XML XSD instead SGML DTD, especially in the long run. I think \
we will  switch to XSD sooner or later(because it's simply being XML and \
that SGML is  dying, and XSD is better)[1], and we should pick a time when \
that switch is  most strategic. We will have a handful of projects popping \
up now, and now is  suitable to add a parallel XSD system, for usage by \
these projects and the  writing of new app documentation. Existing \
documents can then be gradually  converted or everything \
"overhauled"(easily scripted), whatever we feel for.  We should also \
remember that KDE 4.0 is suitable for large moves.  xmllint(used by \
meinproc/checkXML) support it and Docbook schemas are  available. I don't \
think it's a question of if, but rather when, and now is a  good time to \
make sure it not become a limitation later on, but that KDE has  extra \
power and flexibility right now. Lauri, I bet you have something to say  on \
this.

* We should use XInclude instead of system entities(and preferrably add a
namespace tag to kdex.dtd if we don't use XSD)

			Frans

1.
XSD vs DTD: Quick googling returned(haven't read it):
http://www.sitepoint.com/print/xml-dtds-xml-schema
http://www.adp-gmbh.ch/xml/schema_vs_dtd.html
http://66.102.9.104/search?q=cache:ciPq4ywI7_4J:www.idealliance.org/papers/xml02/slides/kennedy/kennedy2.ppt+dtd+vs+xsd&hl=en&ie=UTF-8