Hi all... yesterday we had a lengthy and very productive BOF to discuss the creation of a new set of KDE development-related guidelines. members of the following groups where present: Who What KDE accessibility Team accessibility Guidelines (AG) KDE Artists Community Identify Guidelines (CIG) KDE Usability Team KDE Human Interface Guidelines (HIG) KDE Documentation provided docbook expertise KDE developers input and feedback from the developer's perspective we ended up with the following proposal: each of the three proposed guidelines will be authored in cooperation with the others since they all need to reference each other. for instance, the AG will often be referenced from the HIG and vice versa. when it comes to issues of splash screens and icon, the HIG will point to the CIG for matters of colour, dimensions and artistic layout. to facilitate this, we will probably be working in Docbook format in a CVS module (proposed name: kdeguidelines). Docbook should allow us to create html and print (e.g. PDF) versions of the guidelines as well as support the high degree of cross-referencing we desire. only the maintainers (more on them in a bit) will have commit rights and final paches to the guidliens will appear on a kde-guidelines list. this will allow domain-specific discussion to occur where appropriate with items considered ready by the respective teams to be reviewed for correctness. this is important as proposed usability guidelines may have accessibility impacts, for instance. each of the guidelines will have a pair of people responsible for the documents (the "maintainers"). the proposed maintainers, who were all present and agreed to the responsibilities, are: AG Olaf Schmidt and Gunnar Schmidt CIG Torsten Rahn and Ken Weimer HIG Ellen Reitmayr and Jan Muehlig this will keep the authorship process on track, though the actual authorship of the guidlines will not be only up to these people but all who would like to participate. the AG and CIG and both new to KDE, with the AG yet to be written. the CIG is well on its way, however. the HIG needs to be written from scratch, as the current set of guidelines is too limited even as a starting point. it is proposed that this new HIG will be made up of several parallel components, including: Developer Guidelines this part will appear much like our current guidelines: straight to the point without much sidetracking into usability theory Rational this part will provide the usability reasoning and theory behind the guidelines Examples code snippets, screenshots, etc demonstrating the guidelines in action Usability Checklists a series of quick checklists that can be used while developing UIs or when auditing them to ensure compliance with the guidelines Usability Principles general usability principles towards creating highly usable interfaces. this will likely consist of several articles that may be of interest to developers and others interested in general usability. each of these components will be viewable in part or as a whole, allowing developers to see just the guidelines themselves and the examples, for instance, while those more interested in usability as a topic may choose to display the rationals as well. the AG will take a similar form, and all three guidelines will be linked together. it is proposed that they will be housed at a common website (http://guidelines.kde.org) and linked to by the appropriate websites (artist.kde.org, accessibility.kde.org, usability.kde.org, developer.kde.org, etc). the timeline by which these documents will be completed will be defined further after the BOF on Thursday discussing the post-3.3 devel schedule. the CIG should be ready for the next release, be it 3.4 or 4.0 while the HIG may not be ready until 4.0. we'll keep you posted, however. these guidelines will be written with longevity in mind. our current User Interface Guidelines have serviced us well for several years, and we expect that these new sets of guidelines will have a similar lifespan. we expect them to be actively maintained and developed over time, however, and therefore they will be versioned much as we do with our software including having both a stable and a devel (HEAD) branch in CVS for these guidelines. stable releases will be made according to milestone achievements that will be scheduled and defined as part of a release cycle. the action items that were defined at this point are: o define a target release schedule for the 3 guidelines o set up a CVS module: kdeguidelines o set up a mailing list: kde-guidelines@kde.org o set up a website: guidelines.kde.org comments, thoughts, ideas welcome. -- Aaron Seigo, currently in Ludwigsburg KDE World Conference 2004: aKademy _______________________________________________ kde-usability mailing list kde-usability@kde.org https://mail.kde.org/mailman/listinfo/kde-usability