List:       kde-usability
Subject:    Re: usability review for KHangMan
From:       Gérard_Delafond <gerard () delafond ! org>
Date:       2004-08-22 6:02:36

Le vendredi 20 Août 2004 19:35, Celeste Paul a écrit :
> Hi all --
>
> This is my first usability review I have written and in hindsight its a bit
> long for such a small application.  I would appreciate any feedback.
>
> The url for the pdf file is http://www.obso1337.org/misc/khangman.pdf

Hi !

This report is very interesting and show similar problems in other programs.

1-The termination of the application after clicking "NO" was suprising and
unex- pected.

=>This is the opposite problem than in kpat.

In Kpat, you have 2 buttons to play another game, or stay in your game, but
you have no way to quit when a game is over (won or  lost).

This shows at least in inconsistency in KDE-wide way to write apps.

All there apps should have 3 buttons when a game is over :
-Another game
-Return to the game (missing in khangman)
-Quit the game (missing kpat)

2- The labels are very small and would be difficult for children to read.

=> In KLettres, the fonts are very difficult to read.
I think a very usual font should be the default, and a setting should let you
choos a font as strange as you wish. Don't forget this game is supposed to
aim to very young children.

3- It was not immediatly apparent that ENTER needed to be pressed in order to
register the guess

=>Should be an OK button (or Enter, or whatever) beside the place to write the
letter.

4-  and the error of entering more than one character occured because the text
box labeled "Letter" is very large.

=>It is good the place where you can write is easy to see. But, instead of
giving a big writing area, a small one surrounded by a visual effect should
be better (arrows, for example (->| | <-).

5- The maxmize functionality does not add to the user experience

=>I don't agree with this point.
When showing the program to a classroom using a projector, for example, it is
good the screen is not cluttered with various windows.
With screens getting more and more pixels, it is good also visual programs can
be scaled to be bigger than a thumbnail.
But I agree that distording the images is not good.

6- I have no comment about the other points of your document, whuch is a very
good job !

Thanks

Gerard