List:       kde-usability
Subject:    Re: What if the taskbar...
From:       Maurizio Colucci <seguso.forever () tin ! it>
Date:       2004-08-19 16:39:10

On Thursday 19 August 2004 10:45, Christoph Wiesen wrote:
> I'd strongly oppose this - please re-consider this idea. Of course one
> can't stop change, but hey... I'll try:

Yes, it's a bad idea. Sorry for having you write so much to convince me.

I had already changed my mind, explaining why in the bug :-)

> A location where the windows are sorted by recent usage that's available
> with the mouse would be good, but not at the expense of the current task
> bar.

I agree. There are times where a spatial organization is needed.

(I still think an ALT-TAB organization is more useful than a spatial one, but
both must be available; and the taskbar is not a good place to do time-based
sorting.)

> The taskbar is _the_ place for orientation for many users, be they new
> ones or veterans, and thus they depend on the taskbar showing what they
> expect; Open a window and it shows on taskbar - on the next available free
> space. Open another one and it shows behind that.
> Now if your change would be implemented this order would get changed with
> every opening of a window - thus quickly changing between two windows would
> be quite hard and confusing for many new users

Exactly, they wouldn't understand why the order is changing. The solution is a
big button on the panel called "recent windows".

(soon to be implemented in http://logicaldesktop.sf.net --- it's always a good
time to do some self-advertisement :-) )

> Personally I'd say just add a small little applett users can load into
> kicker - a button that opens the ALT-TAB menu. Couldn't be any easier and
> it would be pretty consistent with ALT-TAB (since it's the same). I guess
> most people who've written something for KDE could do something like that
> in a minute.

Yes, but something tells me this won't happen :-)

cheers

Mau