List:       kde-usability
Subject:    Re: Is "What's this ?" help efficient ?
From:       "Jamethiel Knorth" <jamethknorth () hotmail ! com>
Date:       2004-08-16 19:50:55

>From: Sébastien Laoût "\[temporar\]" <les83plus@free.fr>
>Date: Mon, 16 Aug 2004 17:00:44 +0200
>
>Le lun 16/08/2004 à 08:15, Gérard Delafond a écrit :
> > Le lundi 16 Août 2004 04:30, Jamethiel Knorth a écrit :
> > > Well, I made comments on those above. But, since you brought it up,
>I'm
> > > going to re-suggest that I think there should be a mouse-click
>associated
> > > with help. So, you could just MBB-click on any widget and have help
>appear,
> > > without having to drag your mouse up to the corner and click the
>button
> > > there and then drag it all the way back down
> > Good idea.
> > Down side : people should know this mechanism to use it.

It's an easy mechanism to learn, if it works consistently. Also, it doesn't
detract from any other help tools.

>Down side 2: the MMB is used for other things:
>- TextArea: paste selection
>- Kicker icons: move them
>- Some "work area" (KOffice...): paste selection or do something...

And those only very rarely overlap. Basically, it would just not function to
give help on text areas. The help for text areas could be placed in their
labels as well and this wouldn't be a problem.

I don't know what you mean about kicker icons. No matter what I try,
middle-mouse click there does nothing, so I'm quite confused on that one.

But, if all those problems are overwhelming, it should at least be able to
be bound to a key or mouse-button so that What's This help could be quickly
accessible (and, yes, I do know what shift+F1 gives the what's this cursor;
I still think being able to get help with just a mouse-click would vastly
improve the state of things).