List:       kde-usability
Subject:    RE: Cookie Dialog (Konqueror)
From:       "Jamethiel Knorth" <jamethknorth () hotmail ! com>
Date:       2004-08-16 2:21:07

>From: Edwin Steiner <edwin.steiner@gmx.net>
>Date: Sun, 15 Aug 2004 15:17:22 +0200
>
>Hello!
>
>The current cookie dialog of Konqueror does not make sense to
>non-technical users (as I have witnessed).
>
>I think changing the text to the following would make things clearer:
>
>     *www.website.com* is requesting to store data
>     (a cookie) on this computer.
>
>     Do you want to accept or reject?       <Help>
>
>     [...rest of dialog unaltered...]
>
><Help> would be a link which shows a box with the following text when
>clicked (Is this possible right now?):
>
>     Some websites need to store a small amount of data (a "cookie") on
>your
>     computer.
>
>     Such "cookies" are used for remembering your identity, your
>preferences,
>     your shopping cart and other things.  The data are kept by your
>computer
>     and sent back to the same website when necessary.
>
>     You should only accept cookies from websites you know to be
>trustworthy.
>
>     [Explain choices "only this cookie", "from this domain", ...]
>
>What do you think? If you agree I could work on a patch. (The help of a
>native speaker for getting my English right would be great.)

I would recommend having the help in an extension at the bottom, so it
doesn't open a new dialog. Rather, have the buttons on the dialog be:

     [ Help ]             [ Accept ] [ Reject ]

When [ Help ] is hit, change the dialog so the bottom is:

     [ Hide Help ]          [ Accept ] [ Reject ]

     All the help information about cookies...

That way, there isn't any more of a popup and the help button is in the same
area as all the other buttons. As for what the help area says, I'd have to
give that some more thought. Reading what you suggested, I think it needs
improvement, but it is a fairly good start.