List:       kde-usability
Subject:    Is "What's this ?" help efficient ?
From:       Gérard_Delafond <gerard () delafond ! org>
Date:       2004-08-15 16:51:55

Hi !

KDE is a wonderful and very documented system.

One of the problems is that documentation is not very easy to access. People
don't hate documentation, they simply don't want to run after it.

I think "What's this ?" is under-used because people don't know the mechanism
it works and find it is difficult to use:
When you need some help, you must
-know how works "what's this" system
-cross the window up to the question mark (if it exists, if not =>Menubar =>
Help =>What's this ?)
-click on it
-cross the window back to your item
-hope the "what's this" is not empty and is interesting
-click on the item (and hope it will not launch the action)

Imagine there would be a litte icon next to the label. This icon could be a
buoy or a question mark.
A simple click on it would launch the "What's this" help.
If the "What's this" does not exist, there would be no icon.

Other idea : in the tooltip, there would be a "More help" label.

I think with a similar mechanism, people would use it much more.

What do you think ?

Gerard