List:       kde-usability
Subject:    Re: "Beginner Mode" mockups
From:       Ra1n <pk20it () yahoo ! it>
Date:       2004-08-12 13:06:04

Edwin Steiner wrote:
> On Wed, Aug 11, 2004 at 09:46:21AM -0600, Aaron J. Seigo wrote:
>
>>great stuff, some interesting information there that i'm sure will be used ...
>>thestep-bystep record of the user's behaviour was especially interesting.
>>thanks, and i look forward to more such reports =)
>

> Thanks, the reactions of the people on this list are most motivating. :)
>
> One of the ideas mentioned in my report that I expect to be
> controversal is the introduction of a global "Beginner Mode"
> which simplifies the GUI significantly. Unfortunately I did
> not have the time today to write my thoughts about that down
> coherently. (I hope I can manage this weekend.)
>
> I have, however, put together some quick mockups of how KMail
> could look in such a simplified mode of operation (page contains
> large images):
>
>     http://stud4.tuwien.ac.at/~e9825234/usability/kmail_simplified/
>
> First reactions of my parents (*completely* non-technical) to the mockups
> were very positive.
I don't agree with the idea of a beginner/advanced user mode, I think
that confuses the user instead of simplify his work, because it create
STATIC a distinction between different users experience.
IMHO user interfaces must be simple for every user, but give to a more
experienced user more advanced tools (like keybinding or keychains, or
advanced submenus)

byez

Luca