List:       kde-usability
Subject:    Proposal: XIM usability improvement
From:       "Arne =?utf-8?q?G=C3=B6tje?= \(=?utf-8?q?=E9=AB=98=E7=9B=9B=E8=8F=AF?=\)" <arne
Date:       2004-08-11 4:17:52

Hi list,

I'm using KDE 3.2.3 on Debian unstable.
I'm not sure if I'm correct here with my request or if it is a qt-issue
and I'm barking up the wrong tree. :)

I'm using simplefied and traditional chinese and japanese in some
applications. My point is not about localization, I'm fine with english
menues. :)
But I'm not satisfied with the current way applications handle the input
methods.

Currently, I have to set two locale settings (LC_CTYPE and XMODIFIERS)
to reflect the input method I want.

I use the following:
Japanese: kinput2, LC_CTYPE=ja_JP.UTF-8, XMODIFIERS=@im=kinput2
Simplefied Chinese: Chinput, LC_CTYPE=zh_CN.UTF-8,
XMODIFIERS=@im=Chinput
Traditional Chinese: xcin, LC_CTYPE=zh_TW.UTF-8, XMODIFIERS=@im=xcin

Each application can only run in one environment. This means, I have to
open a terminal window, change LC_CTYPE and XMODIFIERS to the script I
want to input and start the application from there.
The downside of this: If I want to input Chinese and Japanese, I have to
input Chinese first, save the document/mail, close the application,
change the environment settings, start the application again and
continue my document/mail now with Japanese.

(yes, I know there is SCIM, which uses Unicode and can change the IM on
the fly no matter the locale settings. But first, it's currently not
working on my machine (crashes all the time) and second, it does not
support canna or libtabe dictionaries to make the typing easier. So,
japanese is currently limited to hiragana and katagana and cannot use
kanji, which is not what I want.)

This is of course not very convenient.
So, I wonder if it would be possible to modify the XIM behaviour of at
least the KDE applications.
I know the XIM protocol has many limitations, but until IIIMF is mature
and usable a lot of time will pass. Besides, currently only GTK2
supports IIIMF and not even stable.

So, I'm thinking of the following:
Use the keyboard layout changer in the KDE taskbar, to change the
environment settings mentioned above on the fly and then make the
running applications reread the locale settings.

- From a programming point of view this should be possible. I'm just not
sure where to put it. Either the qt library, because I guess that all
qt applications inherit the XIM handling from there, KDE, because the
keyboard handling is currently managed by KDE or the applications
itself, which would mean it would be very hard to convince every
programmer of this idea.

Please comment on this. Thanx.

Cheers
Arne
- --
Arne Götje (高盛華) <arne@linux.org.tw>
PGP/GnuPG key: 1024D/685D1E8C
Fingerprint: 2056 F6B7 DEA8 B478 311F  1C34 6E9F D06E 685D 1E8C