List:       kde-usability
Subject:    Re: File-dialog weirdness
From:       "Jamethiel Knorth" <jamethknorth () hotmail ! com>
Date:       2004-08-01 6:35:38

>From: Leo Savernik <l.savernik@aon.at>
>Date: Thu, 29 Jul 2004 21:47:29 +0200
>
>Am Donnerstag 29 Juli 2004 21:26 schrieb Janne Ojaniemi:
> > filename. Why not slightly alter one of those tools of navigating the
> > filesystem in such way that it would be 100% clear where you enter the
> > filename?
>
>That's why "Save To" or "Save As" have been suggested.
>
>[...]
> > > It's only for path-changing. You cannot paste an URL with a
> > > file-specifier there,
> >
> > I'm sorry, but that's just stupid. If you can't paste URL there, you
>SHOULD
> > be able to paste URL there!
>
>When pasting an url, it loads into the icon view the directory of that url.
>That makes perfectly sense. However, you cannot open a file there. This is
>intended. It is *not* a synonymous input field for "Location".
>

>[...]
> > And how exactly does "Location" tell the user "type the name of the file
> > here"? Answer: it doesn't.
>
>Therefore, "Save To" or "Save As" have been suggested. See above.
> >
>[...]
>
>The discussion seems to run in circles. Let's settle on one of these
>alternatives, commit it when head is unfrozen again, and be done with it.

I'm all for 'Save As' in the Save Dialog (matches the menu term, I explained
in full before).

However, that still doesn't deal with the Open Dialog or the filter line.
The Open Dialog also uses 'Location' and it isn't sensible there either.

The Filter line in the Save Dialog needs to be changed, because that's
actually its least important usage. It also defines the type of file to save
as, and it needs to be labeled as such. I had, in my mockups, labeled that
'Save As Type' and the one above it as 'Save File As' so that they matched
in length and were both clear in purpose, but if matching to 'Save As' I
would recommend 'File Type' be used.

In the Open Dialog, I had renamed the lines to 'Selected File' and 'Display
Filter' because they matched in length and seemed eminently clear.