List:       kde-usability
Subject:    Re: File-dialog weirdness
From:       Sébastien_Laoût "\[temporar\]" <les83plus () free ! fr>
Date:       2004-07-28 19:24:36

Le mer 28/07/2004 à 18:42, Jamethiel Knorth a écrit :
> Actually, Allan's suggestion was "Save To" and mine was "Save File As", but
> "Save As" works just as well. Does anyone have any particular reason why one
> is better than the other?

I have: tt is shorten :)
More seriously, users can have "Document" in mind, or if they want to
save a WEB page under Konqueror, they think "Save page".
So, file is not always so well suited (but it's to be *very* accurate: I
wouldn't remarque it).

Users can also make the difference with 'file' as "system files needed
by the system" and 'document' as "files I have produced myself with
KWord, etc...". But it's just a *smoky supposition* (after all, we have
"~/Document" folder whereas "~/" is well suited): just "document" is
less technical than file (but not all files are documents).

> I prefer the use of "As" over "To" because the menu entry is usually "Save
> As..." Also, it should be "Save As" not "Save File As" because some programs
> imply it is different from just a file, such as a webbrowser that might say
> "Save Page As..." in the menu.

Erf. I haven't read that before reply: this is the same reasonment :-)
"Save &As:" and "Load &From:" are fine for me too.

If we continue in the reasonment "'File > Save As...' so 'Save &As:'",
then "Load &From:" could be "Open &From:" as the user select "File >
Open..." and not "File > Load...".

Hum... the "From" implie a location (ie. a folder) to me, not a
file/document/page.
Simply "Load:" ?
Or "Load This:" (don't like too much)...

Le jeu 29/07/2004 à 16:16, Janne Ojaniemi a écrit :
> Not necessarily, like I showed above. And besides, instead of highlighting the
> advanced features ("did you know you can use kio-slaves when opening/saving
> files?"), we should present the basic features instead ("Enter the filename
> here").

Hum... yes...
"&Name:" could be as good (not "File &Name:" : see above).
> imagine
> how confused newbies are when they try to find a place to enter the filename,
> but all they see is a textbox labeled "Location". "Location" does not imply
> "Enter the filename here".

I don't imagine a newbies searching the field "File name": I see it
*clicking* the file (hey: the icon IS the file).
But that's no matter.

The more problematic thing is that we have a "Location:" field at bottom
AND a listbox at top that seem to make the same thing (ie. see below I
imagine a 'location' as a folder instead of a file (remote or not)).
But the two are needed (I think).