List:       kde-usability
Subject:    Re: Desktop Icon Grid KDE-3.3.0
From:       janne.ojaniemi () nbl ! fi
Date:       2004-07-26 19:31:04

On Sunday 25 July 2004 06:02, James Richard Tyrer wrote:
> I see that KDE-3.3.0 automatically aligns the desktop icons to a grid.
>
> However, I can't find any place to adjust the grid. :-(
>
> This doesn't work for me since the grid is too large in the vertical axis
> to hold the icons that I currently have on my desktop.

I noticed that there is a difference between 3.2.3 and 3.3-beta2 when it comes
to aligning icons to grid. Here is screenshot of my 3.2.3 desktop:

http://217.30.176.84/~janne/desktop.png

Here is my 3.3-beta2-desktop:

http://217.30.176.84/~janne/kde3.3-beta2.png

In both cases I aligned the icons to a grid. As you can see, there is a
subtle, but in my case quite significant difference between the two. In 3.2.3
the icons are nicely places along the grey bar at the top of the screen. In
3.3, they are placed slightly lower, which means that they are not 100%
withing the grey bar. In practice that means that I can't use the "align to
grid" in 3.3 with this particular wallpaper, I have to manually place the
icons.

A tiny detail, but still. Of course you can't really say which is the "right"
way to do this: the 3.2.3-way, or 3.3-way. It was just my luck that the
aligning of the grid was perfect for my wallpaper in 3.2.3, and it's not in
3.3. Any reason for the change?