List:       kde-usability
Subject:    Putting back the subcontact tree on Kopete metacontacts
From:       Olivier Goffart <ogoffart () tiscalinet ! be>
Date:       2004-07-26 18:18:43

(Was Bug 84638)

On that theard, we are talking about adding a sub-tree on metacontacts
containing child(s) contact(s)
http://lists.kde.org/?t=109005598700001&r=1&w=2

*Problem:  Some users don't know contacts icon are clickable / draggable

*Proposed solution:  Go around the problem and add others way to drag a
contact or get the menu with child-items on the contactlist

But, in Kopete 0.5, it was already like that, and it has been removed,
specialy because they was useless, and confuse users.

Facts:
* The most common Meta-contact has only one subcontact.  On my list, almost
every contact are alone in their metacontact. Excepted Kopete developpers and
some other geeks i know.  And having a tree for such as contact is annoying
* People which don't understand the metacontact concept are not helped by this
tree. (I remember having seen a bug report  "why are every contacts in their
own groups?")
* This doesn't chage the fact users don't know icons are active. They will
probably think: "to act on the contact I have to expand the tree"
* Even if they don't know icons are active, it's already possible to preform
every operations with the metacontact contextmenu.

One thing I haven't liked when we removed them for Kopete 0.6 was the fact it
was a simple way to know the displayname of contact.  But today, with the
tool-tip system, this isn't a reason anymore.  (it's simpler to see the
tool-top than open the tree)

So i am against to put the tree back.

Here is others proposed solutions to the initial problem:
- Add a graphical effect when the mouse is over the icon.  I don't know if
that will help the user to know the item is draggable. (if not then we
shouldn't add it because it might be complicated)
- Explain to the user in a  welcome-wizard  or the tip of the day what
metacontact are and what to do with theses icon.

I'm CC Martijn, because it's him which removed theses so called
"KopeteContactListViewItem" and which explained to everyone why it was
fine. :-)

--
Olivier Goffart