List:       kde-usability
Subject:    Re: Few miscellaneous suggestions
From:       James Richard Tyrer <tyrerj () acm ! org>
Date:       2004-07-24 19:55:15

Brad Hards wrote:
> On Fri, 23 Jul 2004 07:51 am, James Richard Tyrer wrote:
>
>>In this case, although the reasons have validity, the action is wrong.
>> Keramik is 'really cool' but it is not very usable.  This is a problem
>>that needs to be fixed.  Actually, this issue should have been considered
>>more carefully before it was made the default.  Now, it needs to be fixed
>>ASAP.
>
> Do you have any objective evidence that one window style is more or less
> useable that any other window style (or theme, whatever)?

Yes.

My assertions are based on on the viability of icons, widgets, and window
decorations.  And, I base my conclusions on classic information theory.  Stuff
with less information, or with more noise, isn't as easy to see.  When you
compare (the window decorations and to a lesser extent the widget style) Plastik
to Keramik, Plastik not only have more information, but Keramik has more noise.
  It is simple: S/N ratio.

Which do you think are easier to see clearly, the title bar buttons on Keramik
or Plastik?  Note, this is not a personal taste -- I use KDE2, but I would have
to say that they are slightly more viable in Plastik than in KDE2 except that
the ones on the right are colored in the active window.  If it were not for
that, I would switch to Plastik.

--
JRT