List:       kde-usability
Subject:    sound as a user inteface tool
From:       "Justin Ryan Nevitt" <jrn5a () cms ! mail ! virginia ! edu>
Date:       2004-07-22 17:26:12

I've submitted this idea to various places because I do
not know where it belongs.  That said, the idea of
attention management through sound is nothing new...but I
believe that it has only been implemented on the
per-application level.

Proposal: Sound Localization Sound Layer

Introduction
	It has been shown in many different studies that users
are more efficient in a multi-task environment where sound
is used to direct their attention.  This is especially
true in immersive environments such as airplane cockpits
and so called ?information cockpits?.  For example a pilot
benefits greatly from hearing alerts, which seem to come
from the object that needs attention. Similarly, there are
business and home applications for this type of attention
management.  For instance an alert could direct you to the
physical location of your mailbox when you have a new
message or it could alert you to a window containing a
rapidly climbing stock price.

The idea:
	The idea for this project is to create a sound
layer/plugin that brings sound localization type attention
management to the everyday PC.  This layer should be made
to work on linux and windows machines and will be GPLed.

Implementation:
	The implementation of this idea should be fairly
straightforward.  At its simplest level the layer will
take information about application or icon location and
modify the panning of sound output to direct attention to
particular areas of the desktop.  The application should
be no harder to write than a simple mixer (although it
should be able to play sounds at different panning
locations at the same time.)  The program should also have
a tiny memory footprint.
	Additional adjustable parameters:
		Intensity of panning
		Individual application settings
			People probably will not want their music to be
localized
		Should be easy to turn on and off (tray icon possibly)
		Turn real time panning on and off
If someone moves a window while it is creating sound will
the panning move with it or will it reset only after the
window is dropped?