List:       kde-usability
Subject:    Re: Hello, and A Suggestion for Making KDE Even Mode Configurable
From:       Liam Smit <smitty () absamail ! co ! za>
Date:       2004-07-21 21:00:59

> hello to everyone involved with kde-usability,
>
> i recently joined the mailing-list, and want to
> introduce myself. i have been a KDE user on and off
> for about 3 years and prefer it over other un*x GUIs i
> have used ( GNOME, XFCE, WindowMaker, etc ... ). i
> have programming experience but right now i don't want
> to get involved in writing KDE code (sorry). still,
> hopefully i have some useful things to say ...

> *** things i like about kde in general ***
>
> i like the fact that KDE presents an integrated &
> consistent interface. (i have heard complaints that an
> integrated GUI is somehow a sin against the unix small
> tool philosophy, but actually when you think about it,
> widgets & dialogs are reusable in exactly the same way
> grep or sed are ... and qt/kdelibs seem to allow very
> modular & reuseable design )
>
> i like the high-configurability of KDE.
>
> i like the full-featuredness.

> *** suggestion regarding an improvement ***
>
> while i really, really like lots of features, i don't
> need all of them all of the time, and would like to
> have more ways to hide features i am not using. for
> example: ...
>
> i would like to see an way for users to be able to
> add/remove right-click-context-menu items in the same
> way that you can configure toolbars. for example, when
> you right-click a tab in konqueror (3.2.2) you get a
> context-menu that has two items i never use - reload &
> reload-all-tabs - so i would like to remove them.
>
> ideally, i would like to be able to right-click on the
> tab, see the context-menu appear, then hold CTRL while
> clicking the reload menu item & see it disappear ...
> or maybe, hold CTRL while clicking anywhere on the
> context menu to bring up a dialog that works the same
> as the configure toolbars dialog ie. with <current>
> and <available> items in two columns, with arrow
> buttons to move them from one to the other ...
>
> what do people think?

Sounds quite good, but then again I don't know waht issues this might
create or how diifcult it will be to implement or what performance impact
(if any) this might incur.

I occasionally push for discoverable interface whre users are introduced
to a minimal (and therefore managable and not intimidating) set of
features. This is sort of opposite of what you are asking for but I think
they both boil down to "less is more".

Liam