List:       kde-usability
Subject:    Re: Few miscellaneous suggestions
From:       William Leese <william () leese ! nl>
Date:       2004-07-21 20:27:27

Janne Ojaniemi wrote:
> Finding Files.... As I fire up "Find Files" in 3.2.3, what do I see? A really
> weird button-layout! Why on earth is "about" the first button right next to
> the textbox? When I tried to find files for the first time, that was the
> button I instinctively pushed in order to start the search. "about" should be
> somewhere else, the current location is just about the worst possible
> location for it.

That is pretty weird. Filed a bug yet?

> Buttons on the Kicker. I think we should have absolute bare minimum there. I
> personally have four buttons: the K-menu, Show Desktop, Terminal and
> Konqueror. I do also have the Pager, but I don't categorize that one as a
> button. Application-buttons (Kmail, Kword etc.) should be removed. They
> should be accesses through the Kmenu by default, like rest of the apps are.
> Same thing with help. Konqueror is different, since it's really a central app
> to KDE, and Terminal is always needed (but I wouldn't lose any sleep if
> default config dropped it from the toolbar).

Might want to let this topic rest for a bit. The current defaults are
useful without being overkill.

Anyway, if there's one thing I've learned by lurking on this list for
some time is that regardless of how many people agree with you
(default_blue, plastik), simply voicing your opinion here won't get you
anywhere. Don't ask me how to get these changes implemented though.
Unless you get the backing of an involved developer who can manage to
convince his peers, then you're doomed to endless argument on mailinglists.

   -- William