List:       kde-usability
Subject:    Re: General KDE Usability
From:       James Richard Tyrer <tyrerj () acm ! org>
Date:       2004-07-13 22:40:36

Ra1n wrote:
> James Richard Tyrer wrote:
>
>> Ra1n wrote:
>>
>>> Ok, but this don't change the fact that this way to do things is
>>> common to newbies that tries to use konqueror(I've tried with some
>>> people I know)
>>> for how much it regards to me, I'll stop trying to use konqueror and
>>> I'll stick with a real browser like mozilla firefox.
>>> Hoping that one day konqueror will get some real usability improvement
>>

>> Well DUH!
>>
>> As I said, Windows disease must be unlearned to effectively use *NIX.
>> This is just ONE example of that fact.
>>
>> Removing features is not the way to improve usability -- especially
>> when they are features that are used by power users.  KDE-3.2.x
>> already suffers from several such "improvements". :-(
>>
>> KDE is the power user's desktop.  We do not want to turn it into
>> another GNOME! :-)
>
> If I want to use effectively  a *NIX I use the CLI and not KDE
> What's wrong with GNOME? they work hard too, to provide a good desktop
> envrionment exactly like the KDE team, and both works must be respected

The current GNOME approach is to improve usability be simplification (removing
features).  Perhaps we could compromise by having a set of newbie configuration
files which could be loaded in place of the standard default ones when a new
user account was created (by kpersonalizer), then we could have it both ways.

--
JRT