List:       kde-usability
Subject:    Re: General KDE Usability
From:       Gustavo Sverzut Barbieri <gustavo () gsbarbieri ! sytes ! net>
Date:       2004-07-13 17:00:13

Em Tuesday 13 July 2004 08:33, Christoph Niemann escreveu:
> joaobr wrote:
> >
> > May be you do not know that you could remove this for you so nasty
> > button from the bar what you probably on any "real browser" can not
> > do. Also some other 50 customizing options you probably do not find
> > in this real browsers or only when having real good understandings.
> >
> > Even if konqueror has some deficiencies with java and some other
> > minor problems I guess it is the most versatile browser actually
> > around. In fact I can configure it like I like and that for me fits
> > perfectly in the old *nix thoughts because I do not depend on
> > anybody. Perfection does not exists, so we should look at the buttom
> > line - this button function and does what it is supposed to do? If
> > yes this button is ok and need to be changed when some has a real
> > better solution.
>
> Although, you have some good points, I do not agree that Konqueror is as
> easily configurable as you describe. Try -- for starters -- to get rid
> of viewmode buttons that you don't need. If possible at all, I haven't
> figured out how to do that, yet. To cut it short: Configuring the
> toolbar is not easy. I do not have a technically superior solution at my
> disposal. Still, I think it is usefull to think about it.

It is well know that konqueror toolbars need some improvement on the
customization dialogs.
	First, those damn <Action> <Merge>,... that you cannot add after you have
removed it. IMHO those should be replaced by nested toolbars or just other
toolbars you can put side by side (the simpler solution).
	Then you come with thousands toolbars that appears automagically and it's
hard to control which goes where and how... just experienced users can
understand that. I mean, in the File Manager mode, konqueror has the
following:
		- Main Toolbar <Konqueror>
		- Extra Toolbar <Konqueror>
		- Location Toolbar <Konqueror>
		- Iconview Toolbar <KonqIconView>
		- Extra Toolbar <DirFilter>
	But when you go to select which ones will be visible, you just see:
		- Main Toolbar <Konqueror>
		- Extra Toolbar <Konqueror>
		- Location Toolbar <Konqueror>
		- Bookmarks <Konqueror>
	Where is the Iconview Toolbar <KonqIconView> and Extra Toolbar <DirFilter>
one may ask...

	After you understand that there is still hundreds of items to select from a
list, some with icons, some without... when you click to add one, the left
view is refreshed to the first item and you have to scroll it over and over
again... And wait, there is the right side where you need to select the
position... drag and drop anyone?

	IMHO it would be better addressed with some toolbar designer, drag and drop
icons where you want (almost like firefox). Since we have too much items,
there should be a filter to help you out and also some categorization, maybe
using tabs or a list. You could just select your profile, select the toolbars
you want to see, place icons along them, place them along the window and then
save the state.

--
Gustavo Sverzut Barbieri