List:       kde-usability
Subject:    Re: General KDE Usability
From:       Luciano Montanaro <mikelima () cirulla ! net>
Date:       2004-07-13 13:28:08

El 05:12, martedì 13 luglio 2004, Leo Savernik escribió:

> Removal != Improvement
> Usability for Noobs != General Usability

I completely agree.
For the "up" button issue, I think moving the "up" arrow after the history
arrows could be an acceptable compromise. At least the newbie would find
the "back" button first, and there may be fewer cases of puzzlement.

Just to check what other multi-document browsers do, I started Nautilus,
and it indeed has the "up" arrow positioned after the history arrows.
The icons have the same style, there is nothing else differentiating the
icon from the others.

Would this be an acceptable compromise for everybody? As long as the up arrow
is still available, I don't care exactly where it is placed.

If this could also help "cross platform" ;-) compatibility, well, I say why not
do that?

Since I started Nautilus, I also found that it too has a zoom control on the
toolbar. It has the [-][scale%][+] layout, which I think is better in two ways:
the ordering of the buttons is more natural, with [-] before [+], and it shows the
actual zoom level. Since other parts have the same interface (kghostview, kpdf...)
I think being consistent there would be good too. in the iconview case, the [scale%]
could be a combo showing the icon size.

Luciano