List:       kde-usability
Subject:    Re: ToolTips? - I need a tip
From:       "Aaron J. Seigo" <aseigo () kde ! org>
Date:       2004-07-11 19:41:10

On Sunday 11 July 2004 12:15, Frans Englich wrote:
> Besides from the obvious drawbacks,

which are what? that it gets in the way of the user when they launch the app?
if so...... how can we solve that as a problem?

what other "obvious drawbacks" are there?

ripping things out because they have problems is an unhealthy approach, IMHO.
fixing problems so as to keep functionality that is otherwise beneficial is.
no?

> the positive side must be a educational purpose, I guess.

a system that teaches the user how to use it as it goes is a very desirable
thing. the tooltips are a fairly simplistic approach to this, and it would be
nice to something more dynamic and useful.. but the value is not to be
underestimated.

how many people complain about them? very few, IME.
how many people have told me that they've learned from them? several.

> Furthermore, GNOME, Windows, OSX does not use it(AFAIK) -- what have they
> missed?

the concept that people may not know how to use their environment?

--
Aaron J. Seigo