List:       kde-usability
Subject:    Re: General KDE Usability
From:       Ra1n <pk20it () yahoo ! it>
Date:       2004-07-10 10:16:01

Lauri Watts wrote:
> On Thursday 08 July 2004 20.41, Tim Wunder wrote:

>>>Don't be so sarcastic! tell me how can be useful on a browser the up
>>>button? I mean really, I can't see an use for it
>>
>>Say you click on a link and it takes you to
>>http://www.somewhere.com/someneatplace/
>>and you want to check out the main http://www.somewhere.com website.
>>Just click the UP button, and you're there...
>

> Indeed.  Click this link:
> http://developer.kde.org/development-versions/release.html
>
> Now click the "Up" button.
> Now click it again.
>
> Now hit back twice, so you are back at the first page.
> Now click and hold the "Up" button - notice the choices, based on the
> hierarchy, and how this gives you a link to the top level of the site.
>
> Try playing with it on a site with a really convoluted hierarchy (like this
> one: http://rabarber.fruitsalad.org/packages/200407080436/4-STABLE/All/ which
> I have to navigate around daily, and since it's all auto-generated, there
> isn't any GUI navigation on the pages.
>
> I use this constantly.  I'm as mystified by people who can't understand it's
> utility as you are by people like me.
>
> Changing the icon to distinguish hierarchal navigation vs history navigation,
> makes perfect sense - removing it entirely really doesn't.
There are also many (maybe more) examples of sites where this won't
work, for example:
www.google.com
www.amazon.com
www.kde-look.org (and also kde-apps and gnome-look)
slashdot.org
www.osnews.com

and many others

So I don't think that this feature is so important if most of the
websites won't work with it, the back/forward buttons work everywhere,
why there should be a button that most people thinks that is broken (If
you use it and see that you're going nowhere what you blame the site or
the software?)

Luca