List:       kde-usability
Subject:    RE: Proposal to change mouse click handling
From:       "Jamethiel Knorth" <jamethknorth () hotmail ! com>
Date:       2004-07-06 0:55:35

>From: Art Carney <greencarrots@nospammail.net>
>Date: Mon, 5 Jul 2004 06:21:16 -0500
>
>As everyone on this list knows, KDE follows the superior HIG standard of
>single-click consistently in every application. However, as everyone also
>knows, after flirting with single-click in Win98/NT 4, Microsoft reverted
>back to the rsi creating double-click.
>
>This shouldn't be a problem for users except that many of them have grown
>so
>accustomed to double-clicking (thanks to bad precedents in the Mac and
>Windows worlds) that they do it everywhere. You've seen these people, they
>double-click on Web links, toolbar icons, etc.
>
>Most users eventually come to realize that a hand cursor indicates a
>single-click action but until that day comes (if it ever does) most of them
>double-click a few times until they learn not to.
>
>To ease this learning experience, Windows includes an option in its mouse
>configuration panel that "deletes" extra clicks if the desktop is in
>single-click mode. In other words, it ignores a second click if it is
>inputted on an icon element.
>
>I propose that
>* Double-click deletion be added to kdelibs
>* That it be enabled by default if single-click is active
>* That it can be disabled through the mouse config box
>
>Not only will this ease the learning process for users, but it can also
>increase stability since some devices can hang if you try to mount them in
>rapid succession. Double-click deletion will also increase the perceived
>speed of the system since uneeded instances of a program will not be
>started
>if the user accidentally double-clicks an icon.

I would strongly support this, particularly for the last reason. I have seen
people double click on things and cause all sorts of problems in single
click mode. For example, double-clicking a document on many systems will try
to double-start OpenOffice, leaving the system crying on the floor.

However, I do have a question. I don't use single-click mode, so I wouldn't
know, but is there any instance where, in a mostly single-click environment,
double-clicking has any use?