List:       kde-usability
Subject:    Re: Project looking glass
From:       Ra1n <pk20it () yahoo ! it>
Date:       2004-07-02 21:21:04

Segedunum wrote:

> Fri, 2 Jul 2004 10:10:18, Paul Pacheco wrote:
>
>>I just installed and tried project looking glass.
me too...it just sucks! its very unstable and I found it rather unusable
(but some features are cool) Metisse its just better (despite the fact
that is used with fvwm)

> What kind of machine did you install it on?
I've installed them on an AthlonXP 2400+ 256mb DDR266 and GeForce 4 MX
64mb (just a little outdated system)

>>and I have to say the future has been shown to me. It is still not usable
>>because it crashes a lot, and has several other problems.
>

> Well, you may think it is the future, but it is just not practical at all for
> several good reasons. The big one is that there is no hardware around that
> can cope with a pure 3D accelerated desktop environment at the moment, that
> will also allow people to use many everyday applications, at the same time,
> and let people run stuff like games with acceptable performance. Under no
> circumstance should you believe those Jonathan Schwartz presentations. What
> kind of hardware do you think is behind him there?
>
> There is no way the hardware today, or even sometime soon, can cope with that.
> People are touting Linux desktops as a way of reusing old desktops, so there
> is no way you can push a desktop environment that can't even be run on the
> stuff of tomorrow.
Well I don't agree, why you think that an user installs linux only on
old hw? also my pc is not one of the latest, but is able to run them (LG
and metisse) without problems

CUT

> People just about get to grips with a 2D, one-side-to-every-window desktop as
> it is. There is still a lot more work to be done on that before you start
> throwing 3D everything into the mix. 3D features and SVG could be used where
> they make some sense, but a total 3D desktop is just not on the cards.
In this I agree with you, looking glass is rather unusable, and even on
metisse some functions are unusable(have you ever used a flipped
terminal window :-P) but I think that 3D acceleration could bring some
cool eyecandy(transparencies, shadows minimizing effects) and also some
useful functions (showing a scaled version of a window as a hint on the
taskbasr for example, or an exposè like function) without CPU occupation
(the graphic card should do that)