List:       kde-usability
Subject:    Re: NSPlugins directory
From:       James Richard Tyrer <tyrerj () acm ! org>
Date:       2004-06-25 15:52:38

Ra1n wrote:
> James Richard Tyrer wrote:
>
>> Ra1n wrote:
>>
>>> I don't understand the issue here, it is true that the defalut list is
>>> very huge, but since konqueror uses the same plugins of mozilla you can
>>> install all the plugins in one place (in my case $HOME/.mozilla/plugins)
>>> and use this path as the only search path for plugins in konqueror, so
>>> you have all plugins in one place.
>>

>> And what if you don't have Mozilla installed?  That is, what if Konqueror
>> is the only browser that you have installed?  Or, what if you install the
>> plugins globally for Mozilla (and they don't work in Konqueror)?  And, what
>> if you NEED to install different plugins for different browsers?
>
> Why I should install different plugins for different browsers?

You would do it because it is necessary.  Some plugins will not work with some
browsers.

Also, as I said, a Mozilla plugin might not work if installed in:
/usr/local/mozilla/plugins because the "*.xpt" might not be installed there.

> if I install a plugin I expect that it will be found by all browsers,

This is a good idea, but (unfortunately) with two different types of plugins:
NetScape and Mozilla as well as version issues this might not always be the
case.  That is, there may be plugins that won't work with some browsers that you
want to use with other browsers.

> so: I
> agree with you that there must be a default directory for plugins, a system
> wide dir and/or a single user dir, something not related to kde (think if
> some people that already have a full functional system with a single plugin
> dir chooses to install KDE) for example something like:
>
> /usr/libexec/plugins $HOME/.plugins
>
> (or a better directory structure like the MacOS X one:
> $HOME/Libraries/Plugins....this is totally Off Topic but is a little tought
> about a fs structure for the desktop :-D)
>
>> Bad design is bad design (or a bad choice of defaults is a bad choice).  If
>> you have multiple browsers, you should install the plugins for each browser
>> in a directory for that browser.  Isn't that the way that the other
>> browsers work? Why is Konuqeror different?  Why should KDE search for every
>> possible plugin installed on a system and why should this behavior be the
>> default.
>
> Well...no, I've always used different browser(Konqueror Mozillas&C and Opera)
> and I've always installed plugins in one place without problems

AFAIK, you can not use the current Flash 7 with Netscape 4.x because it is a
Mozilla plugin.  The Adobe SVG plugin is the same, it won't work with Netscape 4.x.