List:       kde-usability
Subject:    Re: AppDir support in KDE
From:       Art Carney <greencarrots () nospammail ! net>
Date:       2004-06-25 4:19:38

On June 23, 2004 07:29 am, Ra1n wrote:
> Well maybe this idea is a little OT here (probably it should get posted
> on a technical ML) anyway it has something in common with usability
> so...here it is:
>
> What do you think about supporting appdirs(
> http://freshmeat.net/articles/view/247/ and
> http://rox.sourceforge.net/phpwiki/index.php/AppDir ) in KDE?
> they could be an easier way to install and manage applications.
> waiting for your comments...
> Luca

They are not as foolproof as you might think, especially if you're
distributing source code which may require system libraries or a newer
compiler version than the user's system provides.

As long as you're looking at stuff from ROX, I'd suggest you check out their
ZeroInstall program which is even more innovative

http://rox.sourceforge.net/phpwiki/index.php/ZeroInstall