List:       kde-usability
Subject:    RE: Konqueror: Save Link As
From:       "Jamethiel Knorth" <jamethknorth () hotmail ! com>
Date:       2004-06-11 17:31:54

>From: Dik Takken <D.H.J.Takken@phys.uu.nl>
>Date: Fri, 11 Jun 2004 11:27:47 +0200 (CEST)
>

>Hi,
>
>When I want to download a document by using right-click on a link in
>Konqueror, I can see two options that have a very similar name:
>
>* Save Link As
>* Save Link Location
>
>Users tell me this is confusing, because they think saving a 'link' will
>not download the document itself, but merely save the link that points to
>the document. Ofcourse you can figure out which of the two options is the
>correct one, because you know that one of them should save the link while
>the other should actually download the document.
>
>Although you can figure out which is which, I agree that it isn't clear at
>first sight. I would like to propose to rename the entries to:
>
>* Save As
>* Save Link As
>
>or
>
>* Download
>* Save Link
>
>Any thoughts on this?

I think it should be:

* Bookmark Link
* Download Target

It covers everything that is done, all the entries are different, and it's
fairly clear. Currently there is 'Copy Link Location', but I think that's
not clear at all. Likewise 'Save Link As' seems unclear to me. I also do not
like the suggestion of 'Save As' because it overlaps with that identical
term which usually refers to saving the current location.

I'd recommend that the terms be generally change throughout the system to
the target of a link being referred to as the 'Target' not the 'Link
Location'. Logically, the 'Link Location'  is also where the link is
located, as in its position on the page, and it doesn't seem clear to me
otherwise either. The 'Target' of a link can only be where that link goes
to.

I think the link itself should always be called the 'Link', as it is now,
and the current location should be called the 'Current Location' or the
'Location', as it is now.