List:       kde-usability
Subject:    Re: Recent locations: prototype ready
From:       Leo Savernik <l.savernik () aon ! at>
Date:       2004-06-11 14:10:18

Am Freitag 11 Juni 2004 00:05 schrieb Maurizio Colucci:
[...]
> ridiculized by someone called Leo Savernik). :-)

I thought *you* were making fun of it. ;-)

[...]
> SOLUTION 2: a global button called "recent locations" could be added TO THE
> KICKER. When clicked, you see a list of the most recently visited locations
> (dirs, urls,...) , ordered by time. *Not* a list that is relative to the
> konqueror window, like we have now in the <- button. Furthemore, when you
> select one location from the recent list, you must NOT open a konqueror
> window if there is already one konqueror window open, for the same reason
> as problem 1.
>
> --------
>
> We could stop here, which would mean to ADD something to KDE.

Good idea.

> Or we could go further, and also REMOVE something:
>
> REMOTION 1) we could remove the <- and -> buttons on konqueror's toolbar.
> REASON: the global "recent locations" button would supersede them.

If I understand it right, it is a bad idea. When using different windows, one
usually uses them to follow different breadcrumb trails. Take for example two
windows, where you use the first, then you use the second for half an hour,
and then you want to go back one page in the first one. However, since then
you have surfed 50 pages in the second window, which you would have to go
back over *all* of them to reach the.last page of the first window, and only
then you can finally go back one page there.

If you wanted to click some link the the formely 50th page of window 2, you
cannot even reach it any more as the forward button's history would have been
cleared.

So could you please explain me what's the difference between your proposal and
only allowing a single konqueror window at any time?

[...]
> cvs -z3 -d:pserver:anonymous@cvs.sourceforge.net:/cvsroot/segusoland
> checkout logicaldesktop

I'm wary to try it. Does it mess around with the existing installation (i. e.
making it unusable, making irreversible changes)?

[...]

Please take my comments as constructive critisism. It's not my intention to
turn you down.

mfg
	Leo