List:       kde-usability
Subject:    Re: Easier Searching in KDE
From:       Manuel Amador <rudd-o () amautacorp ! com>
Date:       2004-06-09 19:28:16

[Attachment #2 (multipart/signed)]

El mar, 08-06-2004 a las 03:02, Dik Takken escribió:
> On Mon, 7 Jun 2004, Jamethiel Knorth wrote:
>
> > I'm going to post this to core-devel when 3.3 is released. A discussion about
> > optimizing the search backend really belongs there. Some of the people on
> > there probably will have some really solid ideas about it.
>
> Yes I agree, but not before the desired user experience has been defined
> by us on this list.

Ridiong on this train of thought,

I don't know about internet searches, but I would like a search tool
that:

1. is available just like kfind is
2. is available in the file manager
3. is available in file/open dialogs
4. performs rich searches and returns results in less than three seconds
5. automatically updates when a file is changed to match the search
criteria
6. lets me search by
   a) date
   b) keywords
   c) any kind of metadata present in the file
   d) full text

So when I need to open a letter I wrote to, say, "Michael Brown", I'd
like to

a) click file/open button, then press the search icon, and type Michael
Brown...
b) press F3 on Konqueror, type Michael Brown...

... hit ENTER, and see the file displayed on the results list.

Additionally, I could be writing a new letter to "Michael Brown", and
attempt to save it to my $HOME.  Then, the Konq search window would,
after two or three seconds, show the earlier letter PLUS the new one.

At first, this would work great on just files.  Later on, the search
engine could extract data using IOslaves (although this seems a much
harder goal, given that the search daemon must run as a system service,
and it wouldn't have a way to actually get to the user's IO slave data).

Think searching for "Michael Brown" in a search app, or konqueror, or a
file/open box, and having all letters and e-mails from him show up.

	Manuel Amador
	Jefe de I+D                         +593 (9) 847-7372
	Amauta                     http://www.amautacorp.com/
	GNU Privacy Guard key ID: 0xC1033CAD at keyserver.net