List:       kde-usability
Subject:    Re: Easier Searching in KDE
From:       "Jamethiel Knorth" <jamethknorth () hotmail ! com>
Date:       2004-06-08 19:44:18

>From: Jonathan Gardner <jgardner@jonathangardner.net>
>Date: Tue, 8 Jun 2004 11:31:12 -0700
>
>On Tuesday 08 June 2004 01:02 am, Dik Takken wrote:
> > On Mon, 7 Jun 2004, Jamethiel Knorth wrote:
> > > I'm going to post this to core-devel when 3.3 is released. A
>discussion
> > > about optimizing the search backend really belongs there. Some of the
> > > people on there probably will have some really solid ideas about it.
> >
> > Yes I agree, but not before the desired user experience has been defined
> > by us on this list. Once we have reach an agreement, we should prepare a
> > proposal. The people on the kde-core-devel list will need to discuss the
> > technical details of the proposal, discuss the priority of the featre
> > and decide if it's worth spending the required manpower on it. Most
> > kde-usability people won't be able to participate in that discussion
> > (which is good) so we must make sure that the usability part of the
> > discussion has been finished here first.
> >
> > Indeed, we should not discuss technical details like indexing, caching,
> > and so on. That's not our field.
> >

>I would propose that in thinking about usability, you forget everything
>about the technical limitations. There are enough bright fellows who know
>more about how systems actually work that will be able to take components
>and generate the results you want.  In the end, it is all magic and hand
>waving as far as the usability folks should be concerned.
>
>I'd like to see two proposals: One for KDE 3000 (to be released 3 days from
>never) and the other for KDE 4. We should design and implement KDE 4 as a
>stepping stone to KDE 3000, adding useful, possible features, but keeping
>an eye on where we really want to be in the year 3000.

That's a good idea. I do have a tendency to try to make things I think can
work, but I don't always know what's possible. Before sending those to core
devel (since I'm planning to wait until 3.3 is out, there's a good chunk of
time), I'll try to make some designs I would be willing to serve on God's
dinner plate. That'll be a fun weekend!