List:       kde-usability
Subject:    Re: Easier Searching in KDE
From:       Manuel Amador <rudd-o () amautacorp ! com>
Date:       2004-06-07 17:14:19

[Attachment #2 (multipart/signed)]

El jue, 03-06-2004 a las 16:05, Jamethiel Knorth escribió:

> The search requirements are totally different than what you are thinking!
> The purpose of the plugins is to allow searches for things OTHER THAN FILES.
> There would be one tool to search for files. There is NO reason that this
> same tool would search the internet or try to find movie listings or
> locations on a map. The results would be completely incompatible.

It all just started as a nice thing to put in the open file and save
file dialog boxes plus enhancements to the file search tool.  I don't
know what you think we've been talking about.  Thus, my suggestions were
in line with what was being discussed.

You don't expect the file/open mockup in the web page to let you "open"
an expedia map, right?

> Plugins are needed. You have misinterpreted their purpose. This thread was
> started by a page I put up; go there to see what is the purpose of the
> plugins, at least in part:

I have read it.  It's a good thing, it would be great if KDE apps had
pervasive searching.  But most of the time, people are searching for
content in files.

> http://www.csis.gvsu.edu/~abreschm/designs/ubiquitous_searching/index.html
>
> Also, look into Sherlock for Mac OS-X, which is very much the same sort of
> application.

	Manuel Amador
	Jefe de I+D                         +593 (9) 847-7372
	Amauta                     http://www.amautacorp.com/
	GNU Privacy Guard key ID: 0xC1033CAD at keyserver.net