List:       kde-usability
Subject:    Re: Selection-to-Clipboard Inconsistencies
From:       Sébastien_Laoût <sebastien.laout () tuxfamily ! org>
Date:       2004-06-06 13:34:21

Hi,

Several time ago, selecting a text in a QLineEdit was copiying this text
to clipboard.
But usually, when we activate such LineEdits, they sometimes select all
the contents. It was very annoying.
Now it seem to work better (don't know why : certainly because it
doesn't copy :-) ).

Yes : perhapse a copy when selecting by keyboard is a good thing.
But do never copy text when they are autoselected by moving focus to
lineEdits.
Then it's more usable but become inconsistent (it is sensed to be the
"Selection" clipboard and automaticaly selected texts and not copyed).

-*-

The primary clipboard is pasted with MMB, so it requieres mouse.
If you select text by keyboard, you have your hands on the keyboard.
You then must move them to mouse to be able to paste.
Would be good if a keystroke allow to paste MMB clipboard !
So, yes, selections by keyboard could be productives : no need to move
hands to the mouse (or perhapse what I've described is a multi
clipboard, as klipper should work).

-*-

Lastly, Mozilla keyboard selection is quite annoying :
Each time you release Shift and then continue to select, a new contents
is pasted to clipboard.
So, klipper is fullfilled by a lot of seemless selections (and klipper
become useless) such as :
- key
- key to the
- key to the extra credit
- key to the extra credit question is in the user's
- key to the extra credit question is in the user's right-handedness.

-*-

I also agree with Leo :

Le sam 05/06/2004 à 21:41, Leo Savernik a écrit :
> An example why keyboard selection should not affect the primary selection is
> this:
>
> You have an input field with loads of (unselected) text in it. You want to
> replace it with what is currently in your primary selection. But you cannot
> mmb paste it, as the text field is still full of crap. The text field doesn't
> provide a delete button (unlike konqueror's location bar).
>
> If keyboard selection does not overwrite the primary selection, you simply
> click into the input field, hit Ctrl+A, Del, and mmb paste. Four quick steps.
>
> If keyboard selection *does* overwrite the primary selection, you have to
> delete every character manually (by del or backspace). Depending on how much
> crap is in there, this may take a long time.

> For a real-world example that works this way, take Netscape Navigator's
> location bar. Keyboard selection does replace the primary selection there,
> and if I want to mmb-paste an url into the bar, I have first to delete every
> single character. For long urls this takes an annoyingly long time.

Howether, in that particular example, you can press Ctrl+U to play the
same role as Konqueror [clear] button !
Good to know (when the user know it).
If you want to delete the end of the adress, place your cursor at the
start and press Ctrl+Del.
To delete from begin to cursor, it's Ctrl+Breakspace.
So partial URLs can be pasted as well.

But, you still need keyboard...
AND those keystroke works in KDE also, but it delete word by word (the
same as Shift+Right and then Del, or Shift+Left and then Del) so, for an
entire paragraph the problem still here.

-*-

That was some clues, but I can't decide if keyboard selections should be
copied or not...