List:       kde-usability
Subject:    Re: Selection-to-Clipboard Inconsistencies
From:       "Jamethiel Knorth" <jamethknorth () hotmail ! com>
Date:       2004-06-05 17:33:33

>From: Art Carney <greencarrots@nospammail.net>
>Date: Sat, 5 Jun 2004 12:48:39 -0400
>
>I hope that your proposal isn't adopted. Automatic middle copy from a
>keyboard
>selection is very annoying when I have something in the X clipboard.

Would you please explain why the keyboard selection should be treated
differently than the mouse selection? The reason I posted this here, rather
than there, is so I could get feedback from people who care about usability
issues.

As best I can tell, there is no reason for the difference. The primary
selection buffer is supposed to represent what is selected or was last
selected. Since selecting something by keyboard removes the mouse selection
(assuming they are in the same program) it makes sense that it would also
change what the primary selection buffer is.

The largest problem I have is that it is very inconsistent at the moment. If
you have good reason why I should be proposing a different change, please do
explain it fully.