List:       kde-usability
Subject:    RE: Selection-to-Clipboard Inconsistencies
From:       "Jamethiel Knorth" <jamethknorth () hotmail ! com>
Date:       2004-06-04 17:05:09

Okay, I still haven't gotten any reply about this. I think it's fairly
important, so I'm going to go ahead on it. If nobody comments otherwise,
I'll be sending the following recommendation to the xdg mailing list (the
place where they work on freedesktop.org specifications) this Saturday
night:

---- Begin What I Would Send ----

There appears to be no current standard for how to treat keyboard
selections, as opposed to mouse selections, in regards to the cut/copy/paste
buffer. I would like to recommend the following three additions to the
freedesktop.org specification on treatment of cut/copy/paste buffers. [1]

The following paragraph should be added after the summary of the proper
behavior and before the bulleted list describing the problems with the
improper behavior:

Regarding how keyboard selections, no standard has yet arisen. To clarify
usage, selections made by the keyboards should be treated the same as
selections made by the keyboard. The PRIMARY selection is treated as the
current selection, not the selection last made by the mouse.

The following point should be added to the list of things application
programmers should do to support this standard (likely as the second point):

- selections made using the keyboard should be treated the same as
   selections made using the mouse

There is likely a need for some reference to keyboards in the historical
section of that document as well.

For examples of where this is currently being done differently:

OpenOffice: treats mouse and keyboard selections the same.
Mozilla: treats mouse and keyboard selections the same.
Qt Widgets: ignore keyboard selections.
GTK Widgets: fail on both keyboard and mouse selections.
AbiWord: treats mouse and keyboard selections the same.
KWrite: treats mouse and keyboard selections the same.
The GIMP: fails on keyboard selections.

This is a significant inconsistency problem in how the cut/copy/paste buffer
is treated, and it is apparently not addressed anywhere.

---- End What I Would Send ----

I would also like to be able to note how KWord handles this. If anyone can
inform me on that, it would be nice. If anyone disagrees that this is a
usability issue, they should probably note that as well. And, if anyone has
comments on what I am sending, they should probably give some notice before
I send this Tomorrow night.