List:       kde-usability
Subject:    Re: Easier Searching in KDE
From:       "Jamethiel Knorth" <jamethknorth () hotmail ! com>
Date:       2004-06-03 21:05:32

>From: Manuel Amador <rudd-o@amautacorp.com>
>Date: Thu, 03 Jun 2004 14:05:11 -0500
>
>If there is ANY need for plug ins at all, it would NOT be in the search
>interface, but rather as feeders for a robust metadata/indexing system,
>and ONE, only ONE search interface which would contact the
>metadata/indexing system and present results in unified form.  Be it a
>list, icons, a detailed list or panes for each result, all of them bode
>much better than tabs.
>
>See Kazaa and the like.  Why can't we build a search tool like kazaa?
>Or... perhaps we can.
>
>Which again brings us back to the need for a robust metadata/indexing
>system.  Any other search improvement attempt is just a pipe dream with
>less-than-ideal results.

The search requirements are totally different than what you are thinking!
The purpose of the plugins is to allow searches for things OTHER THAN FILES.
There would be one tool to search for files. There is NO reason that this
same tool would search the internet or try to find movie listings or
locations on a map. The results would be completely incompatible.

Plugins are needed. You have misinterpreted their purpose. This thread was
started by a page I put up; go there to see what is the purpose of the
plugins, at least in part:

http://www.csis.gvsu.edu/~abreschm/designs/ubiquitous_searching/index.html

Also, look into Sherlock for Mac OS-X, which is very much the same sort of
application.