List:       kde-usability
Subject:    Re: New File Selection Dialogs
From:       "Jamethiel Knorth" <jamethknorth () hotmail ! com>
Date:       2004-06-01 2:42:56

>From: Mikolaj Machowski <mikmach@wp.pl>
>Date: Tue, 1 Jun 2004 00:19:51 +0200
>
>Dnia poniedziałek, 31 maja 2004 19:54, Jamethiel Knorth napisał:
> >
> > >Maybe solve Primary Locations and Mounted Devices by two horizontal
>rows
> > >of icons?
> >
> > I do not understand what you mean by this. Please explain.
> >
>Instead of
>-----------------
>[icon] Home
>[icon] Desktop
>[icon] Documents
>------------------
>[icon] Floppy
>[icon] CD-ROM
>[icon] DVD
>-----------------
>
>Create two rows of icons. First for primary locations, second for
>mounted devices. Icons could be slightly bigger but even with that much
>of vertical space would be saved:
>
>[Home icon][Desktop icon][Documents icon]
>-----------------
>[Floppy icon][CD-ROM icon][DVD icon]
>
>In special case row could be extended to second row, but that would be
>rare.

That might be a neat option, but definitely shouldn't be the default. It
conveys far too little information of what each button will do. Many of
those icons are unclear. Also, any time some has multiple of the same
device, they would appear identical. Further, it would break up the
consistency of the area, because the recent locations and bookmarks lists
need to be in rows, since the user won't be setting up their own icons for
all those, most likely.

The text is fairly important.