List:       kde-usability
Subject:    Re: New File Selection Dialogs
From:       "Jamethiel Knorth" <jamethknorth () hotmail ! com>
Date:       2004-05-31 17:53:14

>From: Davide Ferrari <il_vide@katamail.com>
>Date: Sun, 30 May 2004 21:45:24 +0200
>
>Alle Sunday 30 May 2004 06:14, Jamethiel Knorth ha scritto:
>
> > I have put together designs for a new set of file dialogs. They're not
> > massively different, but there are a lot of changes. The good version is
> > at:
> >
> > http://www.csis.gvsu.edu/~abreschm/designs/file_selector/index.html
>
>I think it's really good but I also think that the classic scrollbar is
>quite
>not eye-candy in the device list. it should be used IMO only two buttons on
>top and bottom to scroll it, something like
>
>    /\
>Desktop
>Documents
>Devices
>MyURL1
>MyURL2
>MyURL3
>    \/
>
>I suppose a proper widget is already there in QT/KDE, am I right?

The scrollbar is definitely not eyecandy, but I have doubts about changing
the scrolling method. In my experience, those up/down arrows end up
scrolling very slowly. Since the sidebar can include bookmarks and a lot of
devices, it can get very long. I think that the scrollbar is better because
it grants that advantage in speed.

It might look better if the scrollbar were placed on the left-hand side,
however. I'll have to think about changing that, as the scrollbar is rather
ugly at the moment.