List:       kde-usability
Subject:    Re: Easier Searching in KDE
From:       Manuel Amador <rudd-o () amautacorp ! com>
Date:       2004-05-31 17:21:56

[Attachment #2 (multipart/signed)]

El mar, 25-05-2004 a las 14:46, Dik Takken escribió:
> > - From a technical point of view, widgets in X11 are confined to a safe maximum
> > height and width of about 4000 pixels (i. e. neither height nor width can be
> > safely larger than 4000px). That's only about 5 pages of text.
>
> Ok, so that's not an option.
>
> > khtml should be reasonably fast except for very long documents.
>
> So we are going to have every search plugin output a piece of
> beautiful html/xml/whatever? Well, for the 'Extensive' mode as used in the
> search application, this might be a very good idea. From the developer's
> point of view, it simplifies things a lot too, I think.

Search plug ins should output indexable text, and search tools shouldn't
use the search plugins' output directly, it would be even slower than
simply grepping for text.  They should contact an indexing service.

> As for the 'Brief' mode, as used in the KFileDialog search, we don't need
> anything as advanced, so we should stick to simple list/iconview widgets
> there. If only because we don't want to load khtml whenever a KFileDialog
> pops up.. :)
>
> Cheers!
>
> Dik
	Manuel Amador
	Jefe de I+D                         +593 (9) 847-7372
	Amauta                     http://www.amautacorp.com/
	GNU Privacy Guard key ID: 0xC1033CAD at keyserver.net