List:       kde-usability
Subject:    Re: Konqueror FM icons display
From:       "Jamethiel Knorth" <jamethknorth () hotmail ! com>
Date:       2004-05-29 18:12:16

>From: Peter Postmus <p.postmus@st.hanze.nl>
>Date: Sat, 29 May 2004 18:45:54 +0200
>
>- Immediately change the truncated filename into a full filename and create
>a box around that name at mouseover. If the box overlaps an icon below, the
>part of the icon in that box isn't displayed. After a few seconds, show the
>normal tooltip (not overlapping the box).
>Pro: Users don't have to re-read the filename.
>Con: Two boxes appear (one containing the filename and the one from the
>tooltip), which might clutter the appearance.
>
>Now that I think about my idea, two possible improvements could be made:
>- What about not creating an entire box, but just the line under the
>filename? It wouldn't look as cluttered, but it would be clear to the user
>why the underlying icon isn't fully displayed.

I don't see how this would help. Wouldn't this make it have one line,
somewhat stranded? Having a box around text to set it off is very standard
and easy to view. The box doesn't add particularly to clutter because it is
only a sharp-edged distinction around something that is already there, so it
really reduces clutter. This single line idea seems as if it would look very
odd.

>- Instead of not displaying the part of the icon that is overlapped by the
>box/filename, maybe we could make it blend into the background color? The
>icon would still be visible, but it wouldn't deny the user from reading the
>filename.

I think that's an unnecessary use of processing power. Does it matter that
much to see the icon? Fading icons all the time doesn't take much power, but
I know I would notice it when my system was really busy.

And, even besides that, I don't think it's essential to be able to see that
icon. The user has the cursor focused where they are looking. They can move
it to focus elsewhere.

Thanks for replying about this topic. I totally missed the first e-mail.