List:       kde-usability
Subject:    Re: Easier Searching in KDE
From:       Dik Takken <D.H.J.Takken () phys ! uu ! nl>
Date:       2004-05-25 19:46:38

> - From a technical point of view, widgets in X11 are confined to a safe maximum
> height and width of about 4000 pixels (i. e. neither height nor width can be
> safely larger than 4000px). That's only about 5 pages of text.

Ok, so that's not an option.

> khtml should be reasonably fast except for very long documents.

So we are going to have every search plugin output a piece of
beautiful html/xml/whatever? Well, for the 'Extensive' mode as used in the
search application, this might be a very good idea. From the developer's
point of view, it simplifies things a lot too, I think.

As for the 'Brief' mode, as used in the KFileDialog search, we don't need
anything as advanced, so we should stick to simple list/iconview widgets
there. If only because we don't want to load khtml whenever a KFileDialog
pops up.. :)

Cheers!

Dik