List:       kde-usability
Subject:    Re: Easier Searching in KDE
From:       "Jamethiel Knorth" <jamethknorth () hotmail ! com>
Date:       2004-05-24 21:53:37

>From: Dik Takken <D.H.J.Takken@phys.uu.nl>
>Date: Mon, 24 May 2004 23:33:31 +0200 (CEST)
>
>On Mon, 24 May 2004, Jamethiel Knorth wrote:
>
>>I was thinking the results would appear in the same file area as any other
>>kioslave's results would.
>
>That's good, I think. One more idea about what should happen when the user
>clicks one of the results: It should show a normal file listing, showing
>the directory where the file was found. The file itself should be selected
>and it's name entered into the 'filaname' input. It should look just as if
>the user had located the file manually.
>
>How about that?

It should definitely appear just as if the user had found the file
themselves. However, where would the containing directory be displayed? For
single files, it might be able to go in the location bar, but then that
would break the idea that the location bar represents the location being
displayed. Also, it breaks when you select multiple files.

Do you have any ideas where to display the directory a result is contained
in? I've had trouble thinking of anywhere for it to go, so far.

There is a possibility of listing results in a details-style manner:

Results      | Location
foo          | /home/jame/results
foobar       | /home/jame/results
foobar.baz   | /home/jame/stuff
foo.bar      | /home/jame/results/temp/stuff/useless

It causes a sudden change in display method, so I have doubts. Also, it
prevents a full details view from being used.