List:       kde-usability
Subject:    Re: Easier Searching in KDE
From:       Dik Takken <D.H.J.Takken () phys ! uu ! nl>
Date:       2004-05-24 21:25:12

On Mon, 24 May 2004, Jamethiel Knorth wrote:

>> You can use different search plugins for that. Different plugins can be
>> specialized in searching specific things, like music (look at the tag info
>> in MP3's) and they should have default settings that are optimised for
>> their own purpose.
>
> Even in any given one plugin, there are a multitude of options. The generic
> file finder needs instructions about: searching subfolders, case sensitivity,
> metadata fields to check, binary files, file contents, file type, file size,
> file ownership, and date of creation and modification. That's a whole lot of
> fields, and it's not specialized so far.

I did not say that you don't need these options anymore. Only that
different plugins should have defaults that are wise for the purpose of
that plugin. For example, for music files, content search is useless,
metadata search (tags) invaluable.

These defaults can be chosen to yield results that are useful to most
users so please put those controls behind some 'advanced' button and keep
the main interface as clean as possible.

Dik