List:       kde-usability
Subject:    Re: Easier Searching in KDE
From:       "Jamethiel Knorth" <jamethknorth () hotmail ! com>
Date:       2004-05-24 20:27:07

>From: Dik Takken <D.H.J.Takken@phys.uu.nl>
>Date: Mon, 24 May 2004 13:56:55 +0200 (CEST)
>
>On Sun, 23 May 2004, Jamethiel Knorth wrote:
>
>>So, every plugin MUST be able to function fully with one line of input,
>>thus allowing them to be used from anywhere. The added options have to all
>>have presets. That makes the search applet work, and it means a user
>>doesn't need to give much input if they don't want to.
>
>>We need to have many more options available, or you cannot find something
>>very specific out of a huge mass of information, which is one of the
>>greatest values of searching.
>
>You can use different search plugins for that. Different plugins can be
>specialized in searching specific things, like music (look at the tag info
>in MP3's) and they should have default settings that are optimised for
>their own purpose.

Even in any given one plugin, there are a multitude of options. The generic
file finder needs instructions about: searching subfolders, case
sensitivity, metadata fields to check, binary files, file contents, file
type, file size, file ownership, and date of creation and modification.
That's a whole lot of fields, and it's not specialized so far.