List:       kde-usability
Subject:    Re: Easier Searching in KDE
From:       Datschge <datschge () gmx ! de>
Date:       2004-05-24 18:06:08

On Monday 24 May 2004 07:50, Dik Takken wrote:
> (I guess there is a search KIO and if not, we should create one for
> this purpose)

As I wrote before there isn't so your mail is pretty moot at the
moment, see bug:81811 [1]. More votes from people on this list who
don't develop bug agree would be helpful (since votes are a good way
for developers to find out what's really wanted and non-developing
usability list members could easily help overall KDE development this
way).

> If you want to implement searching in a way that is 100% consistent
> with the other access icons, you should have it get it's arguments
> (the URL) from the 'location' input widget, just like the other
> icons do. But I guess this is a *very* bad idea because we cannot
> expect users to understand that searching and browsing are
> technically the same thing.

This is actually a problem for all IO slaves since most of them are
pretty much completely hidden to the clueless user, with no visual
indication of their existence or easy to pick up introduction. One
way to solve that I thought about is separating out the protocol part
of the URI (i.e. actually splitting URI and URL) and offering all
available IO slaves and search shortcuts in a drop down list in front
of the 'location' input widget; and if an URI is selected without an
URL display an introduction of that particular protocol/IO
slave/search shortcut/whatever including use examples etc. What do
you think?

Cheers, Datschge

[1] just select 'bug:81811' and middle click paste it into Konqueror,
how is that for usability. ;)