List:       kde-usability
Subject:    Re: Easier Searching in KDE
From:       Dik Takken <D.H.J.Takken () phys ! uu ! nl>
Date:       2004-05-24 11:56:55

On Sun, 23 May 2004, Jamethiel Knorth wrote:

> So, every plugin MUST be able to function fully with one line of input, thus
> allowing them to be used from anywhere. The added options have to all have
> presets. That makes the search applet work, and it means a user doesn't need
> to give much input if they don't want to.

> We need to have many more options available, or you cannot find something
> very specific out of a huge mass of information, which is one of the greatest
> values of searching.

You can use different search plugins for that. Different plugins can be
specialized in searching specific things, like music (look at the tag
info in MP3's) and they should have default settings that are optimised
for their own purpose.

IDEA:
-----------

If we choose to go the google way (which is a wise thing to do IMHO),
all search options should be available from the query line. For example,
adding "size:200kb" to the query returns only files of that size. Some
query options can be very specific to one search plugin. For example, only
the Music plugin understands the "artist:Pink Floyd" search option.

Here comes the trick:

We could write one search plugin called 'General Search' that accepts all
search options supported by all availabe search plugins. If the user only
queries for a name, this general plugin will call all other plugins and
display the results of each plugin. If the user uses search options that
are specific to one or more plugins, the general search plugin only calls
those plugins that understand that option. For example, when the user
provides the  "artist:Pink Floyd" option, the general search plugin
calls these specific plugins:

* Local MP3/OGG/etc search
* CD/DVD database on the internet (Amazon.com)
* P2P network search

For this to work right, all search plugins that have artist option should
use the exact same name for that option. If one plugin calls the option
'Artist:' and another plugin uses the word 'Performer:', it won't work.

If this can be implemented, it might be a good candidate for the default
search plugin.

> I'd say try to stick to the one-line search interface. The search system
> people are most adjusted to is Google. Let them stay adjusted to it.

Indeed. people who want to use the search options should take a look at
the manual of the search application. If we provide a few good examples of
search queries, this should be no problem. We could even add a quick help
button next to the query input line that shows the 'examples' section of
the manual in just one click.

Cheers!

Dik