List:       kde-usability
Subject:    Re: Defaults: Different backgrounds per virtual desktop?
From:       Will Stephenson <lists () stevello ! free-online ! co ! uk>
Date:       2004-05-24 11:36:47

Sorry for breaking the thread, I just subscribed, and there haven't been any
posts for a couple of days for me to reply to.

This proposal expects the user to infer that they've changed virtual desktop
by noticing the background has changed.  This seems a little bit indirect to
me.  Having made this change, the user might also infer that the '1, 2, 3, 4'
button on the taskbar means 'Change desktop colours', and then think 'Argh,
it closed all my windows too!'.

I'd suggest a WinXP style popup from the pager applet saying 'Changed to
virtual desktop #' would directly inform the user what the unfamiliar result
of their actions was.  Of course, this would be annoying and insulting to
Unix veterans, so I suggest either embedding a 'Punch Clippit And Win' style
game in the popup that prevents it reappearing, or else make it dependent on
the user choosing Windows or MacOS on the second page of KPersonalizer.

There's a similar balloon popup in Kopete you could pinch.

cheers

Will

--
Will Stephenson