List:       kde-usability
Subject:    RE: KWord Hyphenation and Language
From:       "Jamethiel Knorth" <jamethknorth () hotmail ! com>
Date:       2004-05-21 4:09:16

>From: Dik Takken <D.H.J.Takken@phys.uu.nl>
>Date: Thu, 20 May 2004 23:33:34 +0200 (CEST)
>

>Hi all,
>
>I just recently discovered that KWord has hyphenation support :) I found it
>in the font property dialog and I have no idea how long it has been there.
>I also discovered another strange setting in the font dialog: Language.
>Apparently, you can use both language and hyphenation like any other font
>property like bold, italic and so on.
>
>In my opinion, both hyphenation and language should be removed from the
>font dialog, because they have no logical connection with font properties.
>The result is that these two functions are difficult to find, which is a
>usability problem.
>
>What is your opinion about this? Any ideas for better places to put
>hyphenation and language settings?

Unless KWord is doing something weird, hyphenation is a property of the
paragraph, as it relates to how the paragraph wraps, similarly to alignment
and spacing.

I've never fiddled with language, and I can see it being appropriate many
places. I can see reasons for it to be in the fonts dialog, as you might
inline something in another language, and the font level basically is the
only level below paragraph. However, I only speak one language, so this
isn't my field.

I don't use KWord (I need to migrate back-and-forth from Windows machines,
so it won't cut it well enough) so my comments are entirely based off of
your comments.