List:       kde-usability
Subject:    Re: kdemultimedia (setCheckedState)
From:       Gérard_Delafond <gerard () delafond ! org>
Date:       2004-05-19 13:49:44

Le mercredi 19 Mai 2004 14:10, Waldo Bastian a écrit :

> I agree that for the toolbars this "Hide / Show" looks very untidy in the
> toolbars submenu. However I consider the "Hide menubar" / "Show menubar"
> menu a big improvement over the version with a checkbox, likewise for the
> fullscreen action.
I asked David to add the ability to make the menuitems change to show only the
action that can be done. Hide/show menuitems are ugly.

> Maybe that's because the menubar/fullscreen ones act more like
> mode-switches, while in case of the toolbars it's more a selection
> process...
Yes.
Perhaps there should be only one menuitem (show toolbars...) and a dialog box
in which you would have as many checkboxes as you want ?

> With checkboxes in the toolbars submenu you get the status of all the
> toolbars in one glance and, especially with many toolbars, it becomes easy
> to turn one particular toolbar on and off because you can use the pattern
> of the other checks as reference.
You're right.
But I don't think menuitems are made to give you some information about the
status of your system.
If you really want that toggle menuitems give you some information, you must
read them backwards ("if I am proposed to hide, that means it is shown").

> So I think there should be room for both.
Or perhaps, just getused to the new way ?

> Cheers,
> Waldo
> - --
Cheers