List:       kde-usability
Subject:    Re: "Open locations" vs "all locations"
From:       Maurizio Colucci <seguso.forever () tin ! it>
Date:       2004-05-15 20:24:59

Hello,

I agree that the idea is bad, but I don't agree with your reasons.

On Saturday 15 May 2004 20:11, Jamethiel Knorth wrote:

>>More in general, is it really a good thing to keep the distinction between
>>"currently open locations" and "all interesting locations" (=bookmarks)?

> Yes, it is important, because they are completely unrelated.

Well, in a sense they are not, they are all locations :-)

> Open locations
> are open, interesting locations may be open or may not.

Yes...

> If I want a  location I took note of, I don't want it mixed in with
> everything that is open. If I want a location which is open, I don't want it
> mixed in with everything I've bookmarked. The entire idea is preposterous.

This logic seems wrong to me...
You say you _either_ want a location you took note of, _or_ a location which
is open. As if the two cases were disjoint. But they aren't. You may want a
location that is open *and* bookmarked. Furthermore, this distinction is not
very important, because you may not know whether it is open!

I think it's better to draw at least three cases:

1) I want a bookmarked location and I don't know whether it is open
2) I want a bookmarked location and I know it is open open
3) I want a bookmarked location and I know it is not open

And we could put provide only _one_ list, containing a _merge_ of the open and
bookmarked locations, and allow the user to _sort_ it depending on the
situation.

For example, if the case is (1), the uses will simply scan this list without
sorting.

On the other hand, _if_ he knows something more, he can use sorting to speed
up: i.e. if the case is (2), the user will sort the list "open windows
first", or better "most recently used first".

If the case is (3), the user will sort like "open windows last".

So we could many buttons, one for each sorting, but the list would be the
same.

Of course I think this is overkill :-) But still I don't see a problem with
it.

cheers!

Maurizio